Thursday, December 21, 2006

Last Post of 2006

So I'm off to India tomorrow night. Will be nice to go back. I'm looking forward to the two weeks of doing absolutely nothing except trying to read Winnie the Pooh in Japanese and eating various Aunties' wonderful food. The most difficult decision of the day will be whether to have mango or coconut for breakfast :o)

Today I am crazily busy. Packing, buying last minute presents and food, trying to find what the hell kind of wall plug India uses, tidying, sending things to England, practicing for playing the school song in the closing ceremony tomorrow, buying paint to cover up the latest scratch on my car (its a small one, I must be getting better...), and generally Getting Things In Order.

Anyway, today while practicing for the school song with the kids, afterwards I stayed behind to practice a bit, and having not played on a grand piano for a while, starting playing anything and everything I could think of, was fun. After a while, three of my second year kids crept back in, under the guise of looking for something they'd lost (they kind of gave the game away when they couldn't remember what it was they'd lost). Turned out one of the kids, an ever so slightly nerdy guy from the lower class, wanted to play the piano a bit. He played one of his compositions, a little emotional piano piece (name: "Snow Night") and some classical pieces. He was really good! I showed him some bits and then we had a little jazz jam with him improvising. Him and his friends were trying to speak english, too (in Hikami Nishi?? OMG). One of those things that comes out of nowhere. My kids are awesome.

Wherever you are, have a great Christmas and New Year!

See you in 2007!

No comments: