Monday, January 08, 2007

India

I'm back from India, and it was great. But the minute I got back I got tonsillitis. Rubbish. So I'm sitting here feeling pretty shit, so I won't type much, just show pictures of the village, cute nephews and nieces and a couple of Calcutta (sorry, Kolkata.)



As you can see, our village is pretty rural. No one from our family lives there full time anymore, though a lot of my cousins were brought up there. Most live abroad or in the cities and come back for Puja or for a family get together when we go. Everybody in the family loves it and speaks of it in hushed reverential tones though.

This is the post office:



And this was my dad's first school:



It was hard to leave, I didn't reealise that I missed my family but it turned out I do. And India's such a warm place, everything bustling along, everyone interested in whats going on, having loud discussions about anything and everything. Anyway, back to Japan.

UPDATE:

heres a small video I made when we were driving in India. While not the worst that Indian roads get, it illustrates a few points. Watch at the beginning for the woman in the orange sari who we are going to run over until a split second before collision takes a nonchalent step to the left. Then at 0:41, the old man who steps out slowly and casually right in front of the car, followed by a GOAT doing exactly the same thing 15 seconds later. And finally theres the good old bullock cart, a mainstay of West Bengal roads. I wouldn't have the guts to drive here.



Also added an Indian header to the random rotating blog header. There are now 17! Collect them all! Trade with your friends!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't read the crazy Moon Language in your new banner. Translate it into something legible...like kanji.

Oh, wait.

Anonymous said...

Love the video, you should sell it to the DVLA to use as their hazard perception test!

Lau said...

Hehehe, that's a wicked idea, and actually hilariously funny. What is it with you lately Hugh? What happened to the terrible father-like jokes we used to love to hate?

Dylan: there are two words that are the same in Bengali and Japanese, chotto and cha、but sadly I couldn't make a meaningful slogan out of them.

Anonymous said...

okaeri~~! akemashite omedeto & kotoshi mo yorosiku!!
talk to u soon :D