Sunday, January 14, 2007

City Weekend: That's Better

Ahhhh. Just came back from a great weekend doing city things like people are meant to. Saturday me and Lena headed into Osaka. The winter sales are now on, and they are good here, serious reductions and not just left with XXL after 15 minutes of the shop being open. We checked Comme Ca, where I picked up some cool Levi's Purple jeans. I think it's a Japan exclusive thing, they've got your regular 502s, 503s and 507s, just with purple stitching in various places on the jeans and the badge. They weren't expensive either and look pretty good. Also picked up a whole bunch of other things I can't really afford. Yay. Also managed to replace my DS which broke in India. Yay.

Then we got all arty and headed down to remo, which stands for Record, Expression and Media Organization, for some trippy art moving image things. The show was of two artists, Yoshimura Ayako and Palla. Ayako's stuff was pretty interesting, a massive projection of a massive panorama of a city, a couple of old school video slideshows (as in it seemed to be a pile of photos in front of the camera which she would remove one by one) with accompanying nature sounds in headphones, and a sort of focus on houses called 'place-home' which was all about houses with only minor differences and....supermarkets and... background chatter... I didn't really get that one, but the main reason I wanted to come was to see Palla's work. He developed from his blog, where he would post his works, (check it - it's amazing) and if you look back over the entries you can see his style develop to where itis now, intricate patterns based on urban architechtural patterns, absolutely fascinating stuff and I love it. They had a huge canvas of one of his works on the wall, and a projector rotating through his moving image videos which had shifting black and white patterns which played with your mind and I loved, headphones with baroque music for one video, german monks chanting for the next, kicking back on the couch and drinking a beer. Thats my kind of art. (there's a really interesting interview with Palla here.)



Oh, check the pattern above, its from the lifts to remo. I liked it too much.

After this went up to Shinsaibashi to check Cafe Absinthe, where the music was suitably deep jazz. Pablo came down, and we tried Absinthe cocktails. As you'd expect though, they all taste exactly like Absinthe tastes straight. I don't think there's a single flavour you could add that absinthe wouldn't swallow up in its aniseedy black hole.

Sunday checked some more sales, Beams especially, and got a cool pair of work trousers with a diamond pattern on and WOOP WOOP a pair of trainers. I've been needing a new pair for ages, just before Christmas tried to get these based on the hi top Vans from Tsumori Chisato:



But the Kobe store didn't have my size and the Osaka one wouldn't let me pay by credit card, so it was a lonely, trainerless Christmas. But the new year Beams sale saw me right with these actual Vans:



Buying is fun. Got a watch from Muji, real retro styles. Seemed pretty expensive, but I realised its an actual wind up watch! One of those that clicks about 5 times a second and you have to wind every day. How cool.



Popped into an arcade, played some Giant Robot Gundam fighting game, bet lunch on it with Lena. Neither of us really knew what was happening, giant robots, missiles, you know, traditional Japanese culture, but at the end, my screen said 'win' and hers 'lose' so I was treated to a lovely Thai lunch at Elephant Cafe.



What a great weekend. I may have no money left, but Life Is Good.

No comments: